File:Figure 1.10 - Major currents south of 20S.png
Schematic map of major currents south of 20ºS (F = Front; C = Current; G = Gyre) (Rintoul et al, 2001); showing (i) the Polar Front and Sub-Antarctic Front, which are the major fronts of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current; (ii) Other regional currents; (iii) the Weddell and Ross Sea Gyres; and (iv) depths shallower than 3,500m shaded (all from Rintoul et al, 2001). In orange are shown (a) the cyclonic circulation west of the Kerguelen Plateau, (b) the Australian-Antarctic Gyre (south of Australia), (c) the slope current, and the (d) cyclonic circulation in the Bellingshausen Sea, as suggested by recent modelling studies (Wang and Meredith, 2008), and observations – e.g. eastern Weddell Gyre - Prydz Bay Gyre (Smith et al, 1984), westward flow through Princess Elizabeth Trough (Heywood et al, 1999), and circulation east of Kerguelen Plateau (McCartney and Donohue, 2007).
- Rintoul, S.R., Hughes, C.W. and Olbers, D. 2001. The Antarctic Circumpolar Current system. In: Eds. G. Siedler, J. Church and J. Gould, Ocean circulation and climate; observing and modelling the global ocean. International Geophysics Series, 77, 271-302, Academic Press.
- Wang, Z. and Meredith, M.P. 2008. Density-driven Southern Hemisphere subpolar gyres in coupled climate models, Geophysical Research Letters, 35(14) 5, pp. 10.1029/2008GL034344.
- Smith, N.R., Dong, Z. Kerry, K.R. and Wright, S. 1984. Water masses and circulation in the region of PrydzBay, Antarctica, Deep-sea Research, 31, 1121-1147.
- Heywood, K.J., Sparrow, M.D., Brown, J. and Dickson, R.R. 1999. Frontal structure and Antarctic Bottom Water flow through the Princess Elizabeth Trough, Antarctica, Deep-Sea Research I, 46, 1181-1200.
- McCartney, M.S. and Donohue, K.A. 2007. A deep cyclonic gyre in the Australian-Antarctic Basin, Progress in Oceanography, 75, 675-750.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||14:31, 6 August 2014||601 × 589 (308 KB)||Maintenance script||Uploaded by import script|
- You cannot overwrite this file.